Sunday, August 8, 2010

Arbi Patras - Colocasia Leaf Roll Ups

During the monsoon arbi or colocasia leaves are available in abundance in the markets. It is the time to make patras or roll ups with them.
I made a batter with besan or chickpea flour, ginger/garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, hing or asfoeteda, garam masala salt and a sauce of tamarind pulp and jaggery (gur).
After washing and de-veining the leaves carefully I spread the batter on th e leaves and layered up 3 one on top of the other with the batter in between. After that I rolled them up sealing the edges.
Now they are ready for steaming
I placed the rolls in the steamer.
They cooked for 25 to 30 minutes until they are firm and well done.
Cool the rolls and slice them. Some people like to eat them steamed.
I deep fried them in hot vegetable oil.

They turned out so delicious.My 2 sisters will envy me when they see this because they don 't get the leaves where they like. Sorry girls, visit me and I make some for you.

Sheeba our official taster. If she approves, then all is well. And she gave her wag of approval for sure.
_________________
While I was cooking I watched the movie "The Color Purple" on cable. Really loved it. Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey were great. Things are quite similar for women in my part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...