Monday, March 28, 2011

Mind Your Ps and Qs

Do  they speak  the  same  language  on
either  side   of  the Atlantic?
India  has  leaning  towards  the British-
the  colonial influence.
On  the other  hand  several Hindi
or  Hindustani  words have  found
a  place  in  the  English lexicon.
Jungle
Bungalow (bangla)
Mantra
Avatar
Karma
nirvana
curry
chutney
tandoor
guru
serpent (sarpam)
pyjamas
juggernaut
khaki
loot
pundit
veranda
There  are  many   more
and  still  being  added.

On the other  hand  India has
its  own   form of  Hinglish.
Look  at  the  sign above.(left  one)
I  find  it  hilarious.
Ashish and  Megan took this  photo
somewhere in NE  India.
Enjoy  while  I  run  along
powder  my  slappy  ham
grab a  packet  of   chips,
load up  my  rooty tooty point  and   shooty
and dash off
to  my Anguish , sorry English Class.
I  want  to  ask them
what  is  the  connection  between
blueberry  pancakes
and  clammy rogers

Which words from  your part  of  the  world
have  enhanced  the  English  language?

Do you  use words  of  Indian origin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...