Monday, April 23, 2012

Invisible People


I  am  a  single  person  and  I  have  many  friends, but  at  my   age  most  of   them  are  married  and  busy at  work or  home. The  only   single  people  I  know  are  either  older  than  me  or  younger. My  married  frinds  and their  families  are  very  good but  still  sometimes  I  feel invisible  in  a  crowd - noone   to  kinda  hang  out   with.

My  new  pastor 's  wife ,who  teaches   mathematics  in  a College is  very  gracious and  I  feel  free  to  be in  her  company  in  a large  crowd. Ladies   whose husbands  are  busy   leading  or organizing  a service  or  event sorta   come  together , so  we  can  chat  and  socialize  together  and   meet  friends.

People  think  single  people  have  a  lot  of  freedom and  no  responsibilities. But  that ' s not   altogether  true. I  am  a  care giver  at  heart. After   my   mom  passed  away I  find  it  hard  to  just   take  care  of  myself   only . I  like  cooking for  others,  but  cooking  for  myself  alone  does 't appeal  to  me  very  much. 

Indian  society  is  basically family  oriented.  Single  woemn are   pressurized, patronized   or  pitied. Very few are there to  stand  by  us. On  top  of   that its  a  male  dominated  society  too,  so  its   double  whammy  for  us.

I read  a post  by  Karen Power  on  Her  Blog which  I  found  speaks  for   singes.

Would you pray for your single friends?



 by karenpower

I was made aware of this need this morning at church. Special prayer was given for married couples and the needs of their families. That’s great! Much needed! Yet, I can’t recall one time that there has been prayer for the single adults.

If you’re a single adult, do you sometimes feel invisible?

Seems that others think single adults live the life of luxury. They don’t realize that single adults make up 43% of Americans who are 18 and older (2009). They may not also realize that single’s shoulder ALL the weight and responsibility, if they live alone, of the finances, running daily activities of keeping house, all the details of their lives (groceries, laundry, maintenance, health, other issues) without the benefit of a spouse to help to some degree. They may not realize that if a single adult is sick, no one is there to care for them. Or, if they are stressed, no one is there to for them to lean on or cheer them up … often they may not even have family living close by.

As I sat in the congregation this morning, listening to the prayers for marriages, I wondered just how many in the audience were single. Or how many would love to have someone pray for their specific issues that single adults face daily?

So I’m asking … if you are not single, if you are a pastor or on a church’s staff, would you stop for just a few minutes and think about the single adults in your life and/or church? Would you say a prayer for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...