Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rain washed country side







I  returned  from  Lucknow  late  evening on
August  15th (our  Independence  Day).
It poured  heavily  all  day and  I  missed  the  earlier  buses. Sonia  and I  waited more than 2  hours at  the
bus station , once  I  got  a  seat everything  was  OK.
In  spite  of  rain, I   had  a  lovely  time  with  Sonia and  her family. I  will  post pictures  of  the  places  we  saw. I  was  visiting after a gap  of  10  years, much  has  changed  in that  city.

I  travelled  by  a  very  comfortable AC bus and tried to take photos through  the  closed  windows.

Lucknow is  205 kms (kilometers) from
Allahabad.
These  pictures are of  the  River  Ganga flooded
in  the  middle  of  the  monsoon. All  the  low  lying  areas  and  villages  are  submerged.
The  village  roads  were  very  muddy  and  slushy.
While  the  cities  and urban areas  are  developing at  a very  fast  rate and  everywhere you can see signs of wealth, prosperity  and  advancement, the  villages  are  far behind and  neglected.

Before leaving  I  had  made  arrangements  for Mama  and  Aunt  Maya , ensuring  their  comfort and  ease (even Sheeba). Mama  was  very  worried and  kept  calling  me  on my  cell   phone.
On entering  Lucknow we  passed   through
a newly developed area which  is  a  memorial park, I told  her  so. Mom was   puzzled  by  that   and  thought  the  bus  driver  was  taking  us  through a  wrong route. She  rang  up  my  sister  and  brother-in-law and  had  another  person  call  them.  So there  was  a lot  of  telephonic activity during  my  approach to the city.
My  mother was  only satisfied  when  I  told  her that I  had  met Sonia and  Abner  at the bus station.
Up till then my  poor  mother  was  thinking  I  was  lost, kidnapped  or hijacked!
After  all   I  had  left  town after  ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...